CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Whatcha Working on Wednesday...

I know it's a little late for Wednesday, but I'm linking up with Leslie's Whatcha Working on Wednesday anyway. My post and projects were all ready, but I had to wait to get pictures this morning. I've been working on several things, but these are the only two that are complete. So I'll start with this tin star shaped light that my Mother-in law gave me years ago. It has a glass chimney, which always seemed undersized. I used the chimney on something else, so the light has been tucked away for a few years now. I've also had this huge silicone bulb for a looong time. It's so big, I could never find the right lamp for it. When I was organizing (yes, really, I was) I got inspired and decided to experiment with a pillar sized slipcover for the candle.



I just used the cardboard circles from a spool of ribbon and some posterboard to make the cylinder. I covered it with some grocery sack, and added glue gun drips. Then I just painted it ivory and antiqued it with some water based antiqueing medium. I've always loved this little lamp, and now it's perfect for this spot in a dark hallway. When the jumbo bulb burns out, I'll just remove the pillar sleeve, and resume the search  for a more proportionate glass globe.

I also want to share my Valentine's day Wreath with you. I was fortunate enough to snag the sweetest Cupid ornament from Robin of Bird in the Hand Primitives. This was her prototype for this new pattern, so I'm really thrilled to have him. Robin's work is fantastic-he's so well made. I knew he'd be the perfect centerpiece for a twiggy wreath, so I made several hearts in different reds,burgandy, pink and some muslin ones too. Those were supposed to be stitched with phrases like "Be Mine" and "Love", but whatever. Next year.


Isn't he the best? It was hard to get a good photo without all the glare on the glass, but it looks much better in person. (If you click on the photo it will enlarge) So now I'm ready for Valentine's day. Especially the chocolate!
So that's it from me today. I'm off to shop my my little one's 13th birthday...I'm on the hunt for Ripstik wheels and other fun boy things. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Robin Leuschen said...

Your wreath is wonderful ! Thank you for the sweet comments about my little Cupid Guy !! I'm so glad you like him...he looks right at home there....LOL
Hugs
Robin

TJ said...

What a GREAT idea for the tin star shaped light !!! Love how it looks. And oh my that wreath....well It just made me hafta' pick up my chin and grab a kleenex lol....It's Primtastic !
Prim Huggs n Blessins
TJ

Leslie said...

The wreath looks great and the Cupid is the perfect centerpiece for it!

Love your makeover with your light. It's perfect now :)

Have a great day!

Leslie

Pam said...

What an awesome idea for your light! I love how it turned out! Your wreath is very cute!
I wanted to tell you that my mason jar/tart warmer was only $20 + $8.95 shipping so it was very resonably priced. Could I ask you to please mention my name if you do decide to buy one. I forgot to mention that earlier on my blog=)
Thank you & I hope you have a great day!
Hugs,
Pam